The Big Powderhorn Ski Patrol Academy offers training courses for new patrol candidates as well as for current patrollers to enhance their skills.
The minimum training requirements to become a candidate for the Big Powderhorn Ski Patrol are:
- Outdoor Emergency Care (OEC) including classroom and practical training in managing outdoor emergency situations. Successful completion of OEC requires a passing score on nationally standardized written and practical examinations. This material must be refreshed by all patrollers every year prior to the ski season.
- CPR for Healthcare Providers Professional level AHA or Red Cross CPR training is required for all candidates and NSP requires all patrollers to refresh CPR on a yearly basis.
- Ski & Toboggan Training / Outdoor Emergency Transport Designed to teach patrollers to safely transport injured guests. Successful completion requires demonstrating skills in both skiing and a toboggan handing in a practical examination, and must be refreshed by all patrollers every year during the ski season.
- Chairlift Evacuation Training Lift evac training focuses on safely evacuating a chairlift. This material must be refreshed by all patrollers every year prior to the ski season.
- FEMA ICS-100 Introduction to the Incident Command System
DO YOU LOVE THE OUTDOORS AND WANT TO HELP PEOPLE? TO ENJOY SKIING/BOARDING IS ONE THING – BUT TO HELP A SEVERELY INJURED GUEST ON ROUGH TERRAIN IN A BLIZZARD WHILE DIGGING THE HEELS OF YOUR BOOTS INTO THE SNOWPACK TO KEEP FROM CAREENING DOWNHILL… IF THAT SOUNDS LIKE YOU… YOU’RE IN THE RIGHT PLACE! CONSIDER JOINING US AND BECOMING A MEMBER OF THE BIG POWDERHORN SKI PATROL! (* WE SOMETIMES HAVE A LITTLE FUN, TOO)
Skip course categories